Wednesday, October 29, 2008

CHEER SQUAD CHILDREN



During a casual peruse of the St George Illawarra Dragons website I stumbled upon a number of photos mainly of children.


Sounds disturbing, I know. I'm still attempting to decide if it is. The website proudly displays the dragons junior cheer squad. The Junior Flames. Aged between 7-12 years each player has their own, in uniform, profile picture displayed . Attached to each memebers photo is a short profile that outlines their favourite things, what they want to be when they grow up and why they joined the squad.


Holiday cheer squad camps are available and the children all look happy and healthy.




Grassroots is the catch phrase of a sustainable competition and unfortunately not every child can be the star player.So why is it that the website makes me cringe a little? Is it that I feel I'm watching an American teen movie or more that the profiles are a little too groomed with the marketing comb. How do you feel about primary schoolers with pom poms?

No comments: